The author is publishing a collection of 5 novellas into one book. She would like three illustrations per novella, for a total of 15 illustrations. All 5 novellas are horror fiction, but she would like a sense of "tragic beauty" to the drawings. She'd prefer B&W with subtle shades of color, but does not want cartoonish or garrish coloring.
*For this contest, please submit one illustration per story, if possible, based on the descriptions below. (2-3 illustrations are okay, if five is too much). If you are chosen and have only submitted 2 or 3 illustrations, you will simply be compensated an additional $25/illustration for the remainder, until 15 original pieces are completed, or 3 per story. The author would like to get a feel for your personal artistic vision and style, in conjunction with her ideas.
1. The Poe Toaster. This is a historical fiction horror piece about the final week of Edgar Allan Poe's life, previously unaccounted for, that explains his mysterious death, in 1849. The past ties into the modern day phenomenon of The Poe Toaster, a mysterious, cloaked figure that leaves roses and cognac on Poe's grave for 60 years.
2. The Puzzle. Set in modern times, this is about a married, middle-aged woman who buys a puzzle at a yard sale, and when she puts it together, it shows scenes of her future. She becomes obsessed with these scenes and overly-reliant on the puzzle to help her shape her life's decisions.
3. RAIN. This is about a young, African American woman who lives in a trailer park in Gwinnett County, Georgia, in modern times, who becomes trapped during a monumental rainstorm in her flooded park, with a Sea Serpent. She eventually gets trapped in a Spanish moss-covered oak tree.
4. Ancient Song. This is set in 1873 in England. The main house, "Mildenhall Manor" is a stone mansion on a cliff overlooking the ocean in the countryside. This is about an ancient musical score discovered by an archaeologist. When the song is played, it releases unspeakable evil that kills, or possesses, anyone who hears it.
5. The Lost Story. This takes place mainly in the past, in late 1800's New York City. It is about a man who writes a story that literally kills anyone who reads it. The story of the story becomes a local Urban Myth in the limited neighborhood of the Bronx.
I suppose it would be difficult to illustrate some scenes unless the artist reads the stories, which would require quite a bit more time and work. For example, the story dictates that the trailer in RAIN is up on blocks, not directly sitting on the ground. Therefore, simply use your imagination and see where it takes you, based on the limited information provided.
The book is titled 'FIVE Tales of Fear'. Attached is the official book cover, and several images from the previously individually published novellas, as well as a few images to inspire.