We have a Trello board here for user stories - https://trello.com/b/HALapjmI/follo…ctions-app
Here is a prototype of the app - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u…el%201.mov
Here are some screen mock-ups I've drawn - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u…awings.pdf
Here is a mind map - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u…%20Map.pdf
How it works
In order to start, the player will select an instructions category. The categories are:
• Basic Instructions (e.g. Touch the ball and the car)
• Before and After Instructions (e.g. Before you touch the ball, touch the car)
• First/Second/Third/Last Instructions (e.g. Touch the second car and the last ball)
• Colour/Size Instructions (e.g. Touch the big red ball and the little blue car)
Once a category has been chosen a level will be selected. Level 1 contains the easiest instructions, with each subsequent level’s instructions increasing in length and complexity.
Once a level has been chosen the activity will begin. 4 – 5 pictures will appear on screen. Once the child taps the “Go” button an instruction will be heard and displayed in text. The text feature can be turned off in the settings to ensure that the child is listening to and remembering the oral instruction. Similarly, the verbal instruction can be turned off, if the child needs to focus on reading comprehension. A button will be displayed to allow the child to repeat the instruction in case they missed it.
Once the instruction has been given (e.g. touch the ball and then the car) the child will tap on the relevant pictures. The pictures will be highlighted when selected. If the child chooses the wrong picture they can tap it again to deselect it.
If they chose the correct pictures positive feedback will be given by displaying a variety of messages such as “Great Job” and playing an encouraging sound.
If the pictures they chose were incorrect, they will be provided with feedback in the form of an encouraging message to try again. The question will then be repeated. If they do not answer it correctly the second time, the instruction will be repeated while the relevant pictures are highlighted.
The screen will then automatically change to another set of 4-5 pictures with the “Go” button ready to begin the next instruction.
After 10 instructions have been answered a transition game will begin. E.g. Feeding carrots to the rabbit.
Once the transition game has finished the screen will give the player a choice to return home (to select a different category and/or level) or play again (same category and level but different set of questions). The score achieved will be recorded and available in a score screen that can be emailed to parents.
Throughout the activity, the item number will be shown in the top right hand corner, to reflect which question is being answered e.g. 1/10. The home button will be displayed in the top left corner. If selected the player will be asked to confirm if they want to leave the game and return home or continue playing.
Why choose this app?
• Designed by a Speech Pathologist
• No Ads
• Free - with the option to purchase additional concepts if desired/required.
• Random questions – no two sessions are the same
• Clear and easy pictures with age appropriate vocabulary
• Contains clear speech in neutral English
• Can turn written instructions on/off
• Can turn verbal instructions on/off
• Multiple levels increasing in length and complexity
• Immediate feedback provided is specific and encouraging
• Error correction and prompts provided to support improved performance
• Score/ results tallied after every 10 questions
• Results can be saved to monitor ongoing progress
• Fun games throughout to keep children motivated
• Can be used independently or with Speech Pathologist/ teacher/assistant/ parent/carer