I'm aiming to design a new heraldic shield for my immediate family.
The whole idea is that, instead of having some random outdated family shield created centuries ago, my family will instead create its own shield, which will incorporate various elements (e.g. inside jokes, family references, our own motto etc) that are meaningful to us, & reflective of our own shared lives.
Here are the main components we want to include:
- The shield itself should be divided into four quarters, with a smaller shield in the middle.
* Upper right quarter: a field of roman pines at night & a meteor shower in the sky.
* Lower-right quarter: a Spanish galleon sailing towards the sunset.
* Lower-left quarter: a sperm whale peeking above the waterline, and blowing water into the air.
* Upper-left quarter: our family's ancestral home. I've included some photos that you can trace from.
* Small shield in center: a winding road running towards the horizon, lined with tall palm trees.
- Each side of the shield should have an animal supporting it.
* Left: a rampant dragon.
* Right: a rampant lion.
- Each of the animals should be holding a flag.
* Left flag: the old Amerlinck shield - a red chevron on a white background, with three black hammers in it. I've included an image file for you.
* Right flag: the old Huerta shield - a fruit tree on a yellow field, with a walking wolf, & a red frame with four towers. I've included an image as well.
- Below the shield & supporters, a scroll with the Latin words "Qui Audet Vincit" in Gothic lettering.
- Above the shield, include a coronet with a helm & mantling.
* The helm should be a grey steel helm with an open visor with wide-set golden bars, facing 3/4 left.
* Include mantling (flowery-looking drapery) flowing out from the helm. I've attached some samples of cool mantling that should serve as an inspiration. Color scheme for mantling: blue, gray & white.
- On top of the helm there should be a torse, or wreath (e.g. a little multicolored cushion) holding the crest. For the crest, we'd like to have a stone bridge over flowing water.
* I've attached an example. Keep the same color scheme as the mantling (e.g. blue, gray and white).
- Above the crest, include a semicircular array of seven eight-pointed stars.
Whew! That's about it. This should be an awesome, fun project - tons of room to get creative and do something fun. Definitely let me know if you have any questions!